Are Hunter Boots Worth the Investment?
Photography by Heidi Lockhart Somes
This year I took the plunge and bought these Hunter Rain Boots. The question I kept asking myself before purchasing, and a question a lot of people ask, is “are hunter boots worth the investment”? Honestly they had been on multiple birthday and Christmas lists and just never got bought. I mean if you’re wanting to buy someone a somewhat expensive gift and you have a choice to buy a pile of rubber or a nice clutch, you’re probably going to pick the purse. Why? Well, it’s more practical…but is it?
Rain boots are actually quite a practical purchase. The real question is are they $150 worth of practical. Going into college, I got a $20 pair of rain boots, from Target. A year or so of romping around campus in them, they started to crack and let in water, so off I went to get a new pair. I spent a little more on the next pair, so they lasted a little longer than the previous; however, they weren’t great.
I didn’t think that I would need rain boots after college, but they are pretty handy to have. They are great for water, mud, snow, and ice and I found myself still yearning for a pair of Hunters. What finally made me splurge was our engagement photos. We decided to take them in Seattle, so I wanted to be prepared for rain and look cute (Side note- it never rained when we were there); however, it was also a really good excuse to go ahead and get them. So, these photos are actually individual shots of me, from our engagement session! Don’t worry. I’ll be sharing all three looks soon, but if you follow me on Snapchat (ElleSpann), then you already saw some!
Now that April is upon us, April showers are as well. In preparation for a very rainy spring, I thought this was the perfect topic! Last year in Dallas, it rained for a little bit in April, but all of May, until mid-June. It was insane! Even if you aren’t typically in an area that gets a lot of rain, you might consider get a pair, for good measure.
So, now on to what you clicked on my post for…here’s why I think Hunter Rain Boots are worth it:
1) Quality. The Hunter brand is British (they know a thing or two about rain…). They make a seamless product, so debris can’t find their way into your boot. Additionally, their packaging is phenomenal. Now, obviously that isn’t always an indicator of quality, but usually it does mean that they care enough about their product to pay attention to detail, which something you want!
2) Durability. If you have ever compared a cheap rain boot to a Hunter Rain Boot, you’ll notice quite a bit of difference. Right off the bat, you’ll know that Hunters are heavier. Just by touching them, they feel nicer than most. They aren’t going to wear out on you, either. Now, if you treat them horribly, they just might; however, if you clean them and store them well, not to mention not getting too crazy with them, then they’ll last you forever.
3) Versatility. Like I mentioned in the post, you can wear these in really any weather. One of my favorite things about Hunter Boots is that they have add-ons. They have these great boot liners that help keep your feet warm. It may seem like an unnecessary purchase, but after standing in the water in Seattle, I wished I had them! My feet were dry, but boy, were they cold.
4) Tread. This is something that a lot of cheaper boots are lacking. You really want tread, because for the most part, you’re going to be wearing these in some sort of wet weather. It’s already miserable outside, the last thing you want is to slip and fall and become more miserable.
5) Classic. Hunters have been around for a long time. While they do modernize their looks and come out with trendy pieces, their most popular items are their original boots. They are not going to go out of style, so you know your investment will not only last a lifetime, but will also look good throughout your lifetime, as well.
But that’s what I think. I know that it’s not always a good time for an investment, but if you can afford to, you will end up spending less in the long run. What do you think? Do you have a pair of Hunter Rain Boots?
If you want to catch up on my other posts from this Seattle tri[, here they are: Cutest Hotel on Lake Washington, My Seattle Travel Guide, Top 10 Favorite Fashion Books, in Fall City, Fuller's Jewelry Store, in Ghost Alley, and Are you using Pinterest to its Potential, in Fall City, and The Only Weekender Bag your Need, in Fall City.
Like what you read? Click here to subscribe and receive every post in your inbox!